Saturday, July 7, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (23)

Zoo Ah-Choooo
By Peter Mandel, illustrated by Elwood Smith
Published 2012 by Holiday House
This would be a fun storytime book - one typical day at the zoo turns riotous when a sneeze is passed around from animal to animal. The kids would have a blast acting out the different animal sneezes and would love the ending as well - is it going to start all over again with a yawn (which is contagious as well)? Definitely would be a popular interactive title.



I'll Save You Bobo!
By Eileen Rosenthal, illustrated by Marc Rosenthal
Published 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
I confess, I know that everyone loved the first book, but I haven't read it. I picked this one up because it was awaiting processing on the "New Book" cart. It's a cute little story, but I don't really get all the fuss. I think I'm actually on Earl's side. Does that make me a bad guy?





African Acrostics: A Word in Edgeways
By Avis Harley, photographs by Deborah Noyes
Published 2009 by Candlewick Press
I wasn't actually that excited about picking up this book and intended to just skim through it, but it actually managed to catch my eye on the first page. The poems are interesting and the photos are gorgeous. It's full of great vocabulary and includes excellent back matter on both creating acrostics and the animals described in the poems. This was a surprising favorite for me.



At the Boardwalk
By Kelly Ramsdell Fineman, illustrated by Monica Armino
Published 2012 by Tiger Tales Books
Another book that I planned on skimming through, this ended up making me feel the kind of nostalgia you can only feel for places you've never really been. Though we have a "pier" in Maine and I went often as a child, it wasn't really like the boardwalk you think of when you hear that word. This book makes me wish I'd grown up on the ocean side with a real boardwalk that has all the kinds of things mentioned in this book. I like the illustrations, too - they are fun and evoke the spirit of that mythical (at least for me) boardwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment