Thursday, July 19, 2012

Program: Family Storytime

It's time for another edition of family storytime!

Welcome, introductions and reminders - this week we talked about clothing and getting dressed!

Opening: Open Shut Them - at least they seem to like the "apart, together" part quite a bit.

Book: Zoe Gets Ready by Bethanie Deeney Murguia - this is a new book that just recently came through processing and was immediately set aside for storytime this week. Saturdays are the only days that Zoe gets to decide what to wear and she takes it very seriously. She thinks about what kind of day it will be because, after all, she needs to dress accordingly. The kids loved the end of this one and the illustrations are very sweet.

Song: "Bluegrass Jamboree" by Hap Palmer - I had a dad participate! He was dancing along and I was very pleased! Parents for Saturday morning storytimes have not seemed as willing to participate and it makes me sad, but I had a pretty good crowd this time around.

Book: Ducks Don't Wear Socks by John Nedwidek, illustrated by Lee White - I had never seen this book before planning for storytime and we even have a professional copy. I really need to work on my voices - all the ones I do just make me throat sore and I really needed a duck voice for this story to be even better. However, the kids loved seeing what crazy thing Duck would wear next.

Big Book: Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett, illustrated by Ron Barrett - this is one of my favorite books of all-time so of course I was going to share it during storytime. I was thrilled that we had a big book version and the kids actually all went "ooooh" like they were watching fireworks when I pulled out the book. They loved it!

Song: "What are You Wearing?" by Hap Palmer - I had thought of doing the simple "If You're Wearing Red Today..." for storytime but then I found this song and thought it was just more fun. The aforementioned dad actually accused his kids of cheating when they did the actions for articles of clothing that they weren't wearing, but most kids just did everything even if they weren't wearing a sweater or a dress or whatever.

Book: Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems - another one of my favorite books, I worried it might be a little too long for storytime but actually it worked pretty well. The kids seemed very involved in the story and thought the mole rats were funny.

Book: Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman, illustrated by Ben Cort - I really wanted to do Aliens Love Underpants but all our copies were checked out, so I subbed this one instead. Really, I just needed an underpants book because kids think they're hilarious. They laughed a lot during this one.

Closing: Wave Goodbye by Rob Reid - how do I still not have this memorized? Librarian fail, but I am working on it, I promise!

And that was my clothing storytime! What books would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment